Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Old & Pregnant

Friday, Carrie and I (along with all four kids) had a little outing. We did some shopping first, and then it was time for our standard lunch at the Chick-fil-A.

I took the easy route and left Carrie at the table with the kids while I ordered our lunch. She thought I was being generous and paying for lunch (since she drove), but really I was planning to enjoy the five minutes by myself in line. :)

Chick-fil-A is always busy, especially during lunch time and Friday was no exception. All the open registers were full and there were lines behind them. I thought it was definitely my lucky day when one young employee opened another register and motioned for me to come down to place my order with him. He was very pleasant and friendly, but most importantly, accurate, when taking my order. Accuracy, you know, is top priority to picky eaters. I was already considering this lunch a major success. That’s when said young man gives me my total: $19.83

The total wasn’t what caught me off guard---afterall, there were four of us eating for under $20.00 – it was what he said after the total…

With a little laugh he said, “ your total is $19.83…hey, that’s the year I was born…” Then he started laughing hysterically like he’d just made the funniest joke EVER and said, “Ha! Not really!” The look on his face was evident that he was mocking 1983, acting as if it were SO.LONG.AGO.

That’s when it became that awkward moment and so I said, “oh…(giggle)…yeah…(giggle)…well, um, that’s the year I was born.”  The boy looked at me like I had three heads and said, “NOT AH!!!! REALLY?? Well, you don’t look it AT ALL!!!” Then to make matters worse, he proceeds to tell me, that he was actually born ten years later in 1993.

I’m not really sure when 1983 became SO LONG AGO or when kids who were born in the 1990’s became OLD ENOUGH to WORK... ????

I mean REALLY…WHERE are the years going???

Carrie and I discussed the above over our lunch and I was able to laugh about my obviously-aging-way-faster-than-I-thought self it by the time we’d finished.

We let the girls play in the play area for a while and then it was time to go. Carrie took Whitt and Maybree to the car and I took one for the team and took AB & AC to the bathroom. While waiting in line, I had both girls by the hand and we were discussing the things you talk about with three year olds…just the standard why we have to wait in line, what’s taking so long, what was on the floor, what was on their shirts, where we were going next, yada yada yada… 

That’s when the white haired lady behind us smiles and points to my belly and says, “Well, are we getting a boy this time around?” I didn’t want her to feel bad so I just smiled back and said, “maybe”… to which she replies, “Oh, yall haven’t found out yet?” OH.SWEET.MERCY.  I just shook my head no and hung it low as we headed back to the car and I asked my BFF WHY she hadn’t told me that I look at least FIVE months pregnant???

It could have been a lot of things that lead this lady to believe I was pregnant…(and since she thought I already knew what the baby was, I’d have to be at least FIVE months pregnant)… It could have been the way I was standing…I have terrible posture. It could have been the leggings and empire waist dress I was wearing…which I told Carrie I would be burning as soon as I got home. And of course it could be the baby pooch that I have been holding on to since AB was born and has only doubled since Mamie entered the family. :)

I guess yall would understand why I am saving up for either a double jogging stroller or a treadmill. Heck, while I’m at it, I better throw in some anti-aging serum. :)

Here’s some pics of the kids once we made it back to our house on Friday afternoon…

The big sisters took turns playing on the scooter: DSC_4234

DSC_4262While Whitt and Maybree had a little talk…DSC_4209

Whitt did most of the talking, while Mamie did most of the smiling…

DSC_4185

Funny thing is, I think these four keep us young AND make us old all at the same time. :) I’m not sure what keeps me chubby…must be the Chick-fil-A???

~amw~

5 comments:

SaraBeth said...

This is so funny! I was trying on dresses to go on vacation next week, and I looked pregnant in EVERY.LAST.ONE of them. I told Rob that if someone asked, I would just go with it. Who wants to be worried up with some SPANX, especially while on vacation. And honey, 1983 ain't old. I've got 4 years on ya!

Mary said...

If it makes you feel any better, I was born 11 years before you in 1972!! You're still a spring chick.

Anonymous said...

that old goat did not know what she was talking about. you young mamas are still hot hot hot!!! :)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

My birthday was earlier than the 80's friend so you should not worry over your YOUNG age. As far as looking pregnant, I think I look pregnant and I didn't give birth 3 short months ago. Heck, I've never given birth! :)

LeAnna said...

Oh, my. This post had me cracking up. I 'm finding that the more I slide past the 25th year, the faster the 30th is approaching. What is UP with that? Also. My baby brother, the one born in the 90's, is dating and has a real job. I just want to know when all that happens? Apparently while I'm sleep deprived due to multiple little ones...