Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Celebrating 20 years!

I’m still trying to catch up on our summer! I’ve got a few posts left to get caught up through last weekend! We’re living and making memories faster than I can blog! :)

On June 20, DW’s Daddy & Wicked Step Mother (that’s what we call Kellee- but make no mistake, we all adore her.) :)  celebrated their 20th wedding Anniversary.

Kelsey wanted to plan a surprise dinner for them, with a theme similar to their wedding, so that’s what we did. DSC_8408

We sat on hay bales and decorated everything with burlap and lace. I’d already planned to repurpose the runners and mason jars we’d used for the youth banquet at church for this. DSC_8404I’d pinned a few ideas on Pinterest and Kelsey and I got everything set up the day before the dinner. DSC_8405

DSC_8414

Kels snuck their wedding album out and we had some copies printed of their pictures and had them sitting around in frames, too.

DSC_8420

Surprising my in-laws was not an easy task. Adam called and told Pappy we were going to have Lauren’s birthday at our house, and before he could hang up, his Daddy was volunteering to do it at THEIR house! And as soon as Kellee found out about it, she was calling to see what she could cook/do/make to help! :) 

The day of the dinner, Kels and Lauren came to the house and we cooked and got everything ready…that was a mission, too… especially since THAT was the day my FIL was plowing the field in front of our house!! We were all trying to sneak to and from the house without him seeing us and getting suspicious!DSC_8413

In the end, it all worked out and they were actually surprised!

I didn’t get pictures of the signs, but we had signs down our driveway that read: (“Love’s road is rocky, with many a dip, but after twenty years together, they know it’s worth the trip.”)  I saw a different version of that in Southern Living Weddings years ago- DW and I used the first part for the favors at our wedding, and my BFF, Carrie, actually had the signs down the lane to her wedding. I changed the words up a little this time to fit.

For dinner, the boys grilled steaks. DSC_8423Adam got a whole tenderloin and hand cut them. They were amazing. We made twice baked potatoes and Lauren steamed some green beans. It was delish. :) DSC_8425

One of the main things Kelsey wanted to have at the dinner was a wedding cake with icing. Since my in-laws got married outside in the summer, they had a wedding cake that didn’t have icing. And my MIL LOVES icing. So Kels wanted to make sure her momma got a wedding cake with some icing! :) DSC_8422

We made them do the traditional wedding cake cutting picture…

They’re so fun and such good sports. :)  DSC_8434

After the cake and punch, we took a stroll down memory lane and watched their wedding video. It was precious seeing the boys (who were their Daddy’s three groomsmen) and how much they have changed in 20 years! Not only have the boys changed drastically, the entire family has evolved and grown…Kelsey was added a couple of years later, then came the sister-in-laws and the grandchildren. We’ve got quite a crew now. fam

This past weekend, we all met at the condo for family pictures on the beach. I can’t wait to see how they all turned out…This was one of the first ones she took/edited, but the photographer gave us this for a sneak peak. 

I am so thankful for Mr. Pug & Kellee, and the important role they both play in my life. I’m also thankful for the kind of example their marriage is. It’s not perfect, by any means-- none is- but they LOVE, HONOR, and CHERISH each other. What more could anyone else ask for?

Our family is beyond blessed by and so very thankful for them.

~amw~

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I love it all, Annie! Y'all did such a great job on the decorations and food for the big anniversary dinner! I know Pug and Kellee were beyond thrilled.

Lauren said...

That picture turned out so pretty!!!

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

I love all of this! I love that y'all set up the dinner at your house and love how it was decorated! I love the family picture on the beach and of course, I already emailed you my sentiments on that......here come the tears again.....love y'all !!

Granny D. said...

You are right you are blessed but they are very blessed to have you in the family..I feel sure they feel the same way..what a way to celebrate love..

Pet Sitter said...

Great recap of the big night - ya'll did such a great job decorating and planning, as usual!